Saturday, May 20, 2006

Yard Sale Self-Hecklers

I was browsing the yard sales around Ridgewood NJ today, and came across something I hadn't seen before while indulging in this favorite activity: Humor!

I mean, there's always humor from us, as we find the bizarre and unexplainable, and amaze ourselves at the ludicrous things people think they can charge money for, or the ludicrous things people will PAY money for. No, this was humor supplied by the proprietor. Organized, intentional humor.

A sweet old couple, at the end of a cul-de-sac, had years of dishes, tools, and other standard yard-sale matter scattered about their lawn. On many of the items I found little notes. One, on a stack of tray tables read; "If you love clutter, you have to buy these". Another, on a very odd piece of artwork said; "Local artist, be careful with the comments". I had lots of fun reading all of them. On the way out, the note on the "free" pile caught my eye. It read; "This is the stuff we don't have the nerve to charge money for".

Thank you folks, for making me laugh today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»